1.Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
Answer: Identify dipstick / oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum/maximum markers.
2.Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
Answer: Identify high/low level markers on header tank where fitted or on radiator cap, and describe how to top up to the correct level when the engine is cold.
3. Open the bonnet , identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydrolic brake fluid.
Answer: Identify reservoir, check level against high/low markings.
4. Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.
Answer: Open the bonnet and identify reservoir and explain how to check level.
5. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Answer: Manufacturers guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust tyre pressures when tyres are cold, dont forget spare tyre, remember to re fit valve caps.
6. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
Answer: Check that there are no cuts and buldges and there is at least 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three quaters of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
7. Tell me how you would check the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Answer: Brakes should not feel spongy or slack, brakes should be tested as you set off, vehicle should not pull to one side.
8. Tell me how you would check that the headlights and tail lights are working before starting a journey. (No need to exit vehicle)
Answer: Operate light switch (turn on ignition if necessary), as this is a tell me question there is no need to physically check the lights.
9. Tell me how you would check that your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
Answer: The head restraint should be adjusted so that the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or the top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable N.B some restraints might not be adjustable.
10. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system.
Answer: Warning light on the dashboard should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti lock braking system.
11. Show me/explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
Answer: If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is statred, should result in a slight but noticable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just before setting off will give an immediate indication that the system is working.
12. Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car (i can assist you) if you need to switch the ignition on please dont start the engine.
Answer: Operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in a garage door or a window etc, or ask someone to help. As this is a show me question the examiner may check the brake lights for you, you may need to switch the ignition on, do not start the engine .
13. Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
Answer: Applying the indicators or hazard warning switch and check functioning of all indicators. you may need to switch the ignition on, do not start the engine.
14. Show me how you would check that the horn is working. (off road only).
Answer: Check is carried out by using control. you may need to switch ignition on, do not start the engine.
15. Show me how you would check the parking brake (Handbrake) for excessive ware, make sure you keep safe control of the vehicle.
Answer: Applying footbrake firmly. Demonstarte by applying the parking brake (Handbrake) so that when it is fully applied it secures itself, and is not at the end of its working travel.
16. Show me how you would clean the winscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers.
Answer: Operate control to wash and wipe the windscreen. you may need to switch on the ignition, do not start the engine.
17. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear both the front and rear screens.
Answer: Set all relevant controls including, fan, temperature, air direction / source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. Engine does not have to be started for this demonstartion.
18. Show me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them. No need to exit the vehicle, please dont start the engine.
Answer: Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain when you would use fog lights.
19. Show me how you switch your headlights from dipped beam to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst in the car.
Answer: Operate switch (with ignition on or engine if necessary) check the main beam warning light.