Apply online for a first provisional driving licence.
You can apply for your first British provisional driving licence online if you:
* are a resident of Great Britain
* can meet the minimum age requirement
* can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
* are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
* can pay £50.00 by Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Electron, Delta/Solo debit/credit card
* have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
* can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years
For your security and protection, during your online application DVLA will carry out identity checks. This may require you to print, fill in and send a completion form by post and enclose a photograph. In certain circumstances a form of identification is also required. For specific details click here to see the 'Items required by post'.
What you need to know
While applying, you’ll be issued with a Government Gateway user ID. If you already have a Government Gateway user ID, simply enter it with your password.
DVLA will aim to send your driving licence within 10 working days of receipt of your application.
When you're ready
Be sure you have the following to hand:
* a valid debit or credit card
* your UK passport if you have one
* details of previous addresses
* Also make sure that your printer is switched on and ready for use.
If, during the transaction, you need to print a completion form but don’t have a working printer, don’t worry, you’ll be able to print your form from a different computer by using the 'View or print your existing application' link on the right
You MUST NOT drive until you have received this first licence and you have signed it in ink.